Sunday, July 28, 2013

Revoked,

Revoked,

This past month I have had a very humbling experience. It may seem silly to a lot of you, especially those without a license or a car. But this past month I have had my PRIVLIDGE to drive suspended. That means no car, not even driving myself to work or emergencies. You see how I said Privilege in all caps? That’s because driving really is.  Like all privileges we earn them; as for driving you have to take a class, lots of practice and eventually pass a test. So let me first start by saying that I am an awful driver, but hey at least I can admit it. I mean after one failure to stop, one speeding ticket, and two incident tickets I suppose I was in for this lesson. I don’t think we realize that the way that we drive not only affects us, the people in our car, but everyone else as well. Every time you get in a car you are threatening not only your life but plenty of people surrounding you.


After having my privilege revoked for a month I have learned a few valuable things; First: driving is a privilege, not a right. As much as we all think that it is a right if you are a bad driver then you should stay off the roads and that’s why they pulled me off them I suppose. Second: it’s been a real eye opener about how lucky I am to have a car at all. One to take me to school, and to work. A car to drive my friends and I around on the weekends. An item of safety, storage, and transportation. Third: I never realized how much I really rely on my car; to take me to work, to run errands with, to drive to my friends, to go to the gym, to see my parents. Its one of those things that you don’t realize what you’ve got till its gone. I can’t even begin to tell you how inconvenient and frusterating it has been. Trying to find rides to and from work. Keep in mind I usually work quite early and one day I even had to walk to work at 4:30 in the morning in the rain just so that I could get to work on time, that was my most humbling experience of the month. Or how many things i had to miss out on, people I had to miss saying goodbye too. Not being able to do things on your own time is very frustrating. But I wanted to give a special thanks to so many of my friends and family for giving me countless rides, for sticking my bike in the back of their jeeps, for waking up early to drive me to work, for wasting their gas on me and so much more it has been so incredibly helpful and so easy for me to recognize your love, so thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment